06 Feb National Fresh Breath Month
Did you know that February is National Fresh Breath Month? With Feb being the month of love, this sounds like a seamless fit. Even if you’re not planning on letting your crush know you think they’re the bee’s knees, having fresh breath will make you feel more confident. I know if I’ve had garlic at lunch, I’m suddenly very self-conscious of how close people are to me when I’m talking to them. This is the same feeling people with bad breath must experience every day. Not to worry, if you are struggling with bad breath, we have some solutions from Sunstar GUM to assist you on your way to great oral health care, and a healthy, beautiful smile.
There are four simple steps in an effective daily oral care routine:
1. Brush correctly twice a day for two minutes each time. On the top teeth, brush downwards, with the bottom teeth, brush upwards, gently, to rid your teeth of plaque.
2. Floss daily. Remember that if your gums bleed when you floss it means there’s infection there, so extra care will be needed. No one wants to get cavities and have to have fillings at the dentist. So, prevention is how you stop yourself from seeing the dentist and ensure you only see the oral hygienist for a clean twice a year.
3. Remove plaque and food debris from the surface of your tongue by gently scraping the tongue once a day using a GUM Tongue Cleaner. This is an important step that people sometimes miss. If you eat a sweet that’s got loads of artificial colourants in it and it stains your teeth and tongue, the colour is sticking to the plaque, remove the plaque and your mouth won’t discolour anymore. Good to know if you’re planning on having a slush puppy at the movies this valentine’s day.
4. For added fresh breath confidence rinse with an alcohol-free mouthwash like GUM Original White rinse. I use mouth wash twice a day to help target those hard to reach areas.
Sunstar sent me a Fresh Breath Power Kit to keep me feeling myself this National Fresh Breath Month. My #FreshBreathPower kit contains the following Sunstar GUM oral care products:
Sunstar GUM Technique+ toothbrush (RRP R63) – designed to provide advanced cleaning, even below the gumline. The non-slip quad grips are positioned so that the bristles are effortlessly placed at the 45-degree angle recommended for optimal below-the-gumline cleaning. The Dome Trim® bristles are clinically proven to clean below the gumline reducing plaque, gingival inflammation and bleeding. The extended SuperTip eliminates plaque from hard to reach places.
Sunstar GUM Flosbrush Automatic (RRP R116) – great for teaching children to clean in-between and ideal if you have limited dexterity e.g. the use of one hand. This nifty gadget has floss built into an ergonomically-designed handle. Comfortable to hold and easy to use – simply click to dispense a fresh measure of floss. Once used, the floss is stored separately within the handle. It contains enough floss for 250 uses.
Sunstar GUM Tongue Cleaner (RRP R57) – effectively helps remove plaque and food debris from the surface of the tongue. The two sides provide a dual action – bristles to gently brush and a serrated edge to wipe the surface clean.
- Softly brush your tongue using the bristles to dislodge plaque and debris from the tiny grooves on the surface of the tongue. Use a small amount of toothpaste for extra freshness.
- Turn the Tongue Cleaner over and use the serrated edge to gently scrape from the back of the tongue to front.
- Start as far back as you can without gagging. The narrow head helps limit the gag reflex.
- After each swipe rinse with water.
- For extra fresh breath confidence, complete your oral care routine by rinsing and gargling with alcohol-free GUM Original White or Dentyl Dual Action mouthwash.
GUM Easy Flossers (RRP R56) – tiny handles with floss, these are great for adults and children, and have easy to grip handles.
GUM Expanding Floss (RRP R60) – ideal if you have small gaps between the teeth, sensitive or receding gums. GUM Expanding Floss is easy to insert, even between the tightest contacts, and expands during use, for an exceptional clean.
GUM Soft-Picks Advanced (RRP R89) – the latest disposable dental picks with soft rubber bristles that remove plaque and debris whilst gently massaging and stimulating the gums. Ideal for adults and children.
GUM Original White toothpaste (R58) – helps remove stains and prevent their reappearance without damaging enamel. It contains fluoride to reinforce tooth enamel, as well as vitamins for healthier gums. It contains low-abrasive micro-silica to gently remove surface stains and a unique StainClear agent to help dissolve stains in hard-to-reach areas.
GUM Original White mouth rinse (R94) – alcohol-free Sunstar GUM Original White Rinse contains StainClear to help remove stains from in-between the teeth and the tiny crevices in tooth enamel. Made with a patented combination of fluoride, Isomalt and vitamins, Original White Rinse delivers advanced mineralisation for stronger and shinier teeth, helping prevent further staining while strengthening gums and teeth.
Sunstar GUM’s range of oral care tools includes the widest selection of interdentals and floss in South Africa. Recommended by dental professionals around the world and available from selected Checkers, Clicks, Dis-Chem, Pick n Pay, SPAR as well as dentists and pharmacies. Sunstar GUM is distributed in South Africa by Ivohealth. For more product details and stockists visit Ivohealth’s website.
Not sure which tools are right for you? Ask your dentist or oral hygienist for expert advice.