09 Aug Looking to trade-in your car?
If you are thinking about purchasing a new or pre-loved vehicle and wish to sell you current one first. You’ll be wondering what your best options are.
Here’s what you need to know about trading-in your car, from motus.cars :
What does it mean to trade in your car?
This would mean that you offer your current vehicle to the dealership you wish to purchase a new vehicle from, in exchange for a credit towards the car you’ll be purchasing.
How does my car get assessed and valued?
When taking the vehicle to the dealer to be assessed it’s important that you provide as much information as you can. Determine the current book value, as this may give you an idea of what it’s worth, but do remember that this will only be an approximate value and the final price offered will be dependent on various criteria.
The following are important bits of info you must have:
- Vehicle make and model (exact variant)
- Is the vehicle still financed and how much do you owe?
- Full-service history – it’s a good idea to keep all service and maintenance receipts
- Any existing warranty, service, and maintenance plans still in place
- The spare key and other items that came with the car
The dealership wants to know how loved the vehicle is, so it’s a very good option to make sure your car is clean. A clean and well looked after car will attract a higher resale value.
Other things the valuator takes into consideration are:
- Popularity of car make and model
- Year of first registration
- Mileage (shouldn’t be more than an average of 25 000km per year)
- Vehicle condition
- Any additional accessories or non-standard specifications
- The exterior colour of the car may also play a role – Tip to consider: white cars have the best resale value and lowest insurance premiums due to their visibility on the road.
The motus.cars dealer network, has a unique electronic valuation system, allowing them to put a report together which includes the verification of the make and model of the car. They establish the correct value and can offer you the best price. Thanks to their dealer network, which covers all the major car makes and models.
How long will this take?
The dealer will be able to give you an indication of trade in value straight after evaluation. The rest of the vetting and verification, to give you a complete report and solid offer, should not take longer than a few hours.
What are the advantages of trading in your car?
- The dealer will handle everything that needs to be done. From settling the outstanding balance with the bank to ensuring the vehicle is taken out of your name
- You will not need to worry about the task of advertising the car, meeting with buyers, and transferring ownership
- There’s no risk of being scammed
It works out cheaper to let your dealer recondition the car after trading it in. What you lose on the trade-in value will be minimal in comparison to trying to recondition the car yourself before you trade it in.
If you would like to get your car valued as a trade-in, why not book a test drive in your new dream car on motus.cars and get your current car valued at the same time!