22 Mar Umami Mushroom Rigatoni
- 250g rigatoni pasta (or another similar short pasta)
- 4 large portabello mushrooms
- 250g portabellini mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cook rigatoni in boiling salted water, until al dente.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water and drain pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, scrape out the black gills from the underside of the portabellos with a teaspoon. Cut each portabello in half and then cut each half into four chunky wedges.
- Slice portabellini’s into quarters.
- Heat oil and butter in a large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and thyme.
- Cook mushrooms, tossing them often until just tender and golden brown.
- Pour in the soy sauce and cook until absorbed.
- Turn the heat down.
- Stir in the crème fraîche, salt, pepper, and a splash of pasta water.
- Add cooked pasta and toss gently to coat in the mushroom sauce.
- Keep adding pasta water as needed to achieve a silky, shiny sauce.
Serve pasta with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and extra freshly ground black pepper.
This recipe was sponsored by SAMFA