26 May SAMFA Beef & Mushroom Goulash with Rice & Peas
- 500g stewing beef
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 red peppers, cut into 4cm squares
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g baby button mushrooms, halved
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 x 400g tin crushed tomatoes
- 250ml / 1 cup mushroom stock
- 80ml / ⅓ cup fresh cream
- 2 Tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- Fluffy white rice, to serve
- Blanched peas, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160˚C.
- Cut the stewing beef into large pieces and toss with flour.
- In a large pot sear the beef with a drizzle of olive oil and set aside.
- In the same pan add a fresh drizzle of olive oil if necessary and sweat the onion.
- Once the onion is soft add the red peppers and garlic.
- Allow to cook until the peppers have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add the paprika, crushed tomatoes and stock.
- Stir well and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Put the lid on the pot and place in the oven for 1.5 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Remove from the oven and add the mushrooms.
- Place on a low burner and reduce until the goulash thickens.
- Finish the goulash with the cream and parsley.
- Serve over rice alongside freshly blanched peas.