19 Oct Recipe: SAMFA Raw Mushroom Superfood Salad
Having just had my gallbladder removed, I am now more health-conscious than ever. I’ve found myself reading labels, staying away from trans fats, saturated fats, and anything that is not essentially fuelling my body and making it happier and healthier. I am eating more whole foods and raw foods and I’m loving it. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
- 1 cup / 200g mixed red & white quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ± 200g tender stem broccoli
- ± 200g cooked spelt
- 250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- 50g baby leafy greens / rocket / watercress / herbs
- 40g raw almonds
- ¼ cup / 50g fresh pomegranate rubies
- 1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp sea salt
For the pickled onions:
Pack the sliced onions into a heat-proof glass jar.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, maple syrup, and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Carefully pour the hot mixture into the jar over the onions.
- Press the onions down with a spoon so they are submerged by the vinegar mixture. Allow to cool. Seal and refrigerate.
For the quinoa:
- Rinse quinoa well in a sieve with cold running water. Transfer to a pot with the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 20-30 minutes until all the stock has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Steam tender stem broccoli for a few minutes until just tender but still crunchy.
- Roughly chop and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Into the large mixing bowl add the cooled quinoa, cooked spelt, sliced mushrooms, diced avocado, leafy greens and a handful of pickled onions. Toss gently to combine.
- Transfer tossed salad into a large bowl and scatter with almonds and pomegranate rubies.
- Dress with a little olive oil and pickled onion juice just before serving.