29 Jun Recipe: Mushroom Braai Broodjies
Posted at 06:12h in Food
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 2 portabello mushrooms
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices aged cheddar cheese
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- +- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- Prepare your braai and allow coals or wood to burn down until the heat is very gentle, or preheat a gas braai on low heat.
- Season the portabello mushrooms with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Grill them on the braai until tender. Allow them to rest and then slice.
- Spread two slices of sourdough with softened butter and flip onto a baking tray.
- Assemble the braai broodjies beginning with the mozzarella slices.
- Next, a layer of tomato slices and season them well. Add a few pieces of red onion and spread them out so every bite is even. Arrange the sliced mushrooms across the whole sandwich. Finish with a layer of cheddar which will add flavour and help keep everything in place and insulate the bread from getting soggy.
- Top each broodjie with the other piece of sourdough and butter them generously.
- Transport the broodjies onto a braai grid. No need to squash them down. Just use the braai grid to gently keep things in place.
- Braai over a low heat so that the bread gets nice and crispy and cheese melts. When the broodjies are golden brown remove from the braai, slice, and serve immediately.
This recipe was sponsored by the South African Mushroom Association