14 Apr Recipe: Mushroom, Biltong & Potato Chowder
Serves 6 – 8
- 30ml oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 60g butter
- 30ml cake flour
- 500g button mushrooms, sliced
- 80ml white wine
- 1.25L chicken stock
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 375ml milk
- 125ml cream
- 150g ground, fine biltong
- salt and milled black pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, butter and flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat and add the white wine. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, potatoes and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, cream and biltong and season to taste. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes.