10 Apr Pickled Fish by Chef Hector
Easter is about family, togetherness, food and chocolate treats. While in lockdown this weekend, The Maslow Sandton’s Executive Chef Hector Mnyayiza plans to take his family on a nostalgic journey of traditional Easter dishes.
“We are going to be doing a lot of experimenting and cooking in the kitchen. I want to make a few dishes reminiscent of my childhood as well as some new ones to give Easter an exciting spin. I hope that all South Africans will appreciate spending quality time with their families this weekend,” says Chef Hector, adding that his fondest memories of Easter as a youngster are of him and his mom, cooking together in the kitchen.
“We would go to church and then come home to cook a family lunch of roast chicken, roast lamb or pickled fish with salads or vegetables,” he recalls.
One of the dishes on Chef Hector’s menu this weekend is pickled fish. “Pickled fish has been a traditional Easter dish for many years. You cannot beat homemade Cape Malay pickled fish. I will also be making another South African favourite, malva pudding.”
He enthusiastically shares his fail proof recipes for these authentically South African dishes.
- 300g hake cut into medallions
- 100g flour
- 4 bay leaves
- 1cup vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 8 black pepper corns
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 200ml oil
- 2 whole onions cut into rings
- 2 cups water
- 2 egg
Method for the sauce
1. In a sauce pan add 10ml oil and once it’s hot add your onions, garlic, bay leaves and black pepper corns. Sweat the onions and add turmeric, curry powder. Cook the spices for about a minute.
2. Add Vinegar, water, apricot jam, sugar. Let that simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat.
Directions for cooking the fish
- Warm oil in a deep saucepan on the stove.
- Coat the fish in seasoned flour, beaten eggs and more flour.
- Fry the fish until golden brown.
- Place on kitchen paper to drain the oil.
- Place the fish in a bowl and add the sauce. Leave to marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Serve with brown bread.