28 Jun Mushroom, aubergine & cheese quesadillas with rocket & lettuce slaw
These vegetarian quesadillas are packed with flavour and make a plate full of delicious crowd-pleasing snacks.
Ingredients: (serves 4 as a light meal)
- 1-2 aubergines, sliced into 1 cm rounds
- olive oil, for drizzling (plus more for frying)
- salt & pepper
- 250 g brown mushrooms, sliced at least 8 medium-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups mature cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 head of baby gem lettuce, shredded
- 1-2 cups wild rocket
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 30-45 ml milk
- Arrange the aubergines on a large baking tray brushed with oil, then drizzle all over with more oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast in a preheated oven at 220 C for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
- While the aubergines are roasting, heat about 30 ml olive oil in a large wide pan and fry the mushrooms until cooked and brown. Season with salt & pepper and set aside.
- Assemble the tortillas: place some cheese on a tortilla, then top with roasted aubergines & fried mushrooms. Top with more cheese, then cover with another tortilla and press gently to compress. Fry in a hot, dry pan on both sides until slightly charred and the cheese has melted. Slice and serve at once, with the slaw on the side.
- For the slaw: Place the lettuce and rocket in a mixing bowl. Mix the mayonnaise with the milk to create a slightly more runny mayo sauce. Pour over the leaves and toss to coat.
This recipe was sponsored by SAMFA