27 Apr Mother’s Day Breakfasts
Posted at 09:09h in Food
Looking for some easy, yet delicious recipes to make for mom this Mother’s day?
How about a delicious spicy portabello shakshuka?
Spicy Portabello Shakshuka
- 8-12 medium portabello mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp harissa
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 x 400g tins Italian crushed tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- Handful fresh coriander
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C and place mushrooms on a rack on top of a baking tray.
- Brush with the olive oil and season to taste.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- In a large heavy-based frying pan (or large cast iron pan) add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and celery until tender. Add the tomato paste, harissa, garlic, and cumin.
- Sauté until fragrant. Season.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off for a moment and make 4 small wells in the sauce.
- Crack an egg into each well. Cover the pan with a lid and switch the heat back on to low.
- Cook the eggs for 8 to 10 minutes or until done to your liking.
- When the eggs are almost cooked nestle the portabello mushrooms into the sauce to reheat.
- Finish with a generous scattering of fresh coriander and serve with crusty bread.