07 Jun Caramelised Onion, Mushroom & Mascarpone Crustless Quiche
Serves 4 -6
- 15ml oil
- 2 onions, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 5ml brown sugar
- 15ml red wine vinegar
- 15ml butter
- 350g mushrooms*, sliced (* either brown, portabellini or button or a mixture of mushrooms)
- 2 cooked potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 150g white cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and milled black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 250g mascarpone
- 5ml fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the onion mixture to a plate and return the pan to the stove.
- Add the mushrooms and fry over high heat for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Spray an ovenproof frying pan or cake tin with non-stick baking spray.
- Layer the potatoes at the bottom of the pan followed by the mushrooms and onions.
- Top with the grated cheese and season well with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until well beaten and then beat in the mascarpone cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the quiche mixture and top with thyme.
- Bake for 35 – 45 minutes, or until golden and set.
- Serve with grilled tomatoes for breakfast or a side salad for lunch.
This recipe was sponsored by SAMFA