05 Jul Caprese Mushroom Zoodles
- 4-6 large zucchini / marrows
- (if you cannot find large zucchini / marrows use extra baby marrows)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 500g mixed portabellini & baby portabellini mushrooms
- 1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 small red onion, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 250g smooth ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the tomato sauce:
- Crush tinned tomatoes with your hands into a medium saucepan.
- Add the butter, onion halves, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt.
- Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally. When the sauce is thick and the flavour has developed, discard the onion and switch off the heat.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini into long, even ribbons.
- Toss with a pinch of salt in a colander. Let stand until ready to use.
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook, tossing them often until just tender and golden brown. Season.
- Preheat oven grill.
- In a shallow baking dish spread out the zucchini ribbons.
- Dollop spoonfuls of tomato sauce over the zoodles.
- Top with mushrooms and spoonfuls of ricotta. Season well.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan and place until the grill for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve into bowls and scatter with fresh basil leaves.