- 6 chicken thighs, skin on & bone in
- Skin on & bone in will deliver the juiciest chicken. Reduce baking time if using chicken breasts or deboned thighs
- 500g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 125ml dry white wine / de alcoholised wine or extra stock
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 large bunch fresh tarragon, leaves removed from stems
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 250ml sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Lemon wedges
- Green salad
- Brown & wild rice
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Season the chicken thighs well with salt and pepper.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a deep ovenproof frying pan or buffet casserole.
- Brown the chicken well until deeply golden on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the residual fat in the pan and cook on medium high heat until golden brown and they have released all of their moisture.
- Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and dried herbs and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce.
- Pour in the chicken stock and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.
- Add half of the tarragon leaves, the lemon juice, zest and stir in the sour cream.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Add the browned chicken thighs into the mushroom sauce, making sure to nestle them in so that just the golden skin is sticking out.
- Transfer pan to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken thighs, until cooked through.
- Scatter the remaining half of the tarragon leaves all over the dish and add a little extra lemon zest and juice for brightness.
- Serve straight out of the warm pan alongside a fresh green salad and wild rice.