- 2 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 tsp salt
Za’atar tahini sauce:
- 115g tahini
- 125ml water
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp za’atar
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- Good pinch of sea salt
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 bunch / ± 200g kale or swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 500g mixed cultivated mushrooms, sliced into chunky pieces
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Thinly sliced radish
- Chargrilled artichoke hearts, sliced
- Lightly steamed asparagus stems
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the rice:
- Combine water, black rice, and salt in a medium sized pot.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to low.
- Cover and cook for about 30 to 35 minutes until the rice is tender and chewy and all the water has been absorbed.
- Switch off the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes before fluffing and serving.
For the sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Taste to adjust seasoning and set aside until serving.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the kale and cook until just wilted.
- Season lightly.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a fresh drizzle of olive oil to the pan and cook the mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add the soy sauce and vinegar and toss to coat.
- Divide black rice amongst four bowls.
- Top the rice with the cooked onion and kale mix, the sautéed mushrooms and the rest of the delicious toppings.
- Generously dollop the bowls with the za’atar tahini sauce and serve with the extra on the side and enjoy!