Having a sore throat can be a real pain, quite literally. It’s something that most of us experience at some point, and it’s usually not a big deal. But sometimes, a sore throat can indicate a more serious underlying condition. So how do you know when to worry?
Cepacol®, the brand known for its sore throat lozenges and hot medication, outlines some things to consider:
Does It Hurt Like Crazy?
If your throat feels like it’s on fire and the pain won’t let up, it might be more than a common sore throat7. Strep throat is a highly contagious bacterial infection1a that can cause fever, pain when swallowing and swollen lymph nodes in the front of the neck1b.
Tonsillitis is another possibility that can cause severe throat pain, red, swollen tonsils, and trouble swallowing2.
Can’t Swallow or Breathe Properly?
That’s a Red Flag! If your sore throat makes swallowing your food or even your saliva difficult, that’s a sign that something’s not right. It’s also a big concern if it’s making breathing hard for you, having blood in your saliva or phlegm, joint swelling and pain, or experiencing a rash3.
Is This a Regular Thing for You?
Sure, everyone gets a sore throat occasionally, but if you’re dealing with them regularly, it might be worth looking into. If you’re experiencing a chronic or persistent sore throat, it could be a sign of a more severe condition like allergies4a, viral and bacterial infections4b, Mononucleosis4c, peritonsillar abscess4d, gonorrhea4e, acid reflux4f, a weakened immune system4g, or throat cancer4h.
In such cases, you might need more than just a spoonful of honey to kick that sore throat to the curb. So, seeking medical advice as soon as possible is essential to get the correct diagnosis and treatment.
How the Cepacol® Cough & Cold Range Can Provide Relief
In addition to Cepacol® Throat Lozenges5 in four pleasant tasting flavours (Regular, Honey & Lemon, Menthol, Blackcurrant), the Cepacol® Cough & Cold range now includes new Cepacol® Throat Spray6, a throat spray containing a combination of ivy leaf, pelargonium, and menthol. It numbs the throat, providing temporary relief of a sore and inflamed throat. The spray formulation allows for easy application directly to the affected area, ensuring targeted relief.
Cepacol® understands the daily needs of individuals experiencing a sore throat, so, if you’re dealing with a sore throat, there’s a Cepacol® for that!
- Centres for disease control and prevention. Strep Throat: All You Need To Know. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/groupastrep/diseases-public/strep-throat.html. Last accessed May 2023.
- Medline Plus. Tonsillitis. Available from https://medlineplus.gov/tonsillitis.html. Last accessed May 2023.
- Centres for disease control and prevention. Sore throat. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/sore-throat.html. Last accessed May 2023.
- Medical News Today. What can cause a sore throat at night? Available from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/sore-throat-at-night#cancer. Last accessed May 2023.
- CEPACOL® Throat Lozenges approved professional information, February 2022.
- CEPACOL® Throat Spray approved professional information, February 2022.
- When is a sore throat considered chronic? Written by Diana Rodriguez. Medically Reviewed by Justin Laube, MD. Reviewed: May 14, 2020. Available from https://www.everydayhealth.com/ear-nose-throat/chronic-sore-throat/. Last accessed May 2023.