Makes 6 kebabs
- ± 250g portabellini mushrooms (18 similar sized portabellinis)
- 2 red onions, cut into large cubes
- 12 mixed courgettes / patty pans, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¼ cup ghee
Mango dipping sauce:
- 1 cup fresh mango pieces
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup mango atchar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh mint, for serving
- -If using wooden kebab skewers, soak them in water for a few hours or overnight before preparing the kebabs.
- Using a blender, combine all the dipping sauce ingredients and blend. Taste for seasoning and then pour into a bowl and set aside. This can be made ahead of time and left in the fridge.
- Alternating between the mushrooms, onions and courgettes, skewer the veggies onto the soaked kebab sticks.
- In a small pan combine all the spiced ghee ingredients and sauté on low for 2-3 min or until spices become fragrant. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the kebabs with the spiced ghee.
- Cook the kebabs on the braai basting them with the remaining spiced ghee and turning often, until the mushrooms are just cooked though and can easily be pierced by a knife tip.
- Serve the kebabs with the mango dipping sauce and a sprinkle of fresh mint.