To Make the Herb avonnaise:
- 1 cup mixed herbs (basil, parsley, coriander & chives work very well)
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ avocado
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 large Portabella mushrooms
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 200g Brussel sprouts, sliced in half
- ¼ baby red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the avonnaise:
- Place all the ingredients in a blender. Drizzle in a little cold water and blend until smooth.
- Keep in the fridge until serving.
- Bring stock to a boil in a medium sized pot.
- Add the barley. Reduce heat to a low, steady simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chewy and tender, ±35 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C.
- Place a baking tray on the bottom level of the oven to preheat.
- Place a wire rack onto another baking tray.
- Brush the portabellos with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the wire rack.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Place the brussel sprouts in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Toss to coat well.
- Carefully remove the preheated baking tray from the oven.
- Arrange brussel sprouts cut side down on the baking tray.
- Roast them on the bottom of the oven until softened and lightly charred, ± 20 minutes.
- Toss the cooked barley with the cabbage, parsley and lemon zest. Season to taste.
- Fill the roasted portabellos with the barley mixture.
- Top with the charred brussel sprouts.
- Drizzle some avonnaise over each stuffed mushroom and serve.