Makes 1 large pizza
- 90g almond flour / ground almonds
- 125g mozzarella, grated
- (do not use pre grated mozzarella – it gets tossed with starch to keep it from sticking together and will prevent it from melting homogeneously)
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 125ml tomato purée
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 150g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 100g mozzarella, grated
- 1-2 Tbsp pickled jalapeños
- 1 Tbsp baby capers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Handful fresh rocket, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200˚C, fan on.
For the dough:
- Place the almond flour, mozzarella and cream cheese in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat and keep stirring with a firm spatula or wooden spoon until melted and well combined.
- Remove from the heat and add the egg.
- Working quickly, stir until the egg has been incorporated and the dough is smooth.
- Place the dough between 2 large pieces of baking paper.
- Roll out thinly into a ± 30cm pizza base.
- Remove the top piece of baking paper and slide the dough onto a large baking tray.
- Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes until golden.
- Carefully flip the base and bake for a further 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- While the base is cooking combine the tomato puree, dried herbs and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and reduce until thickened. Season to taste.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and cook the mushrooms until barely tender but not cooked through. Season lightly.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Top with mushrooms, capers and jalapeños.
- Return to the oven and reduce the heat to 180˚C.
- Cook until the cheese melts and is lightly golden brown.
- Scatter with fresh rocket, black pepper and serve.
- Pair with a Hope Gin & Tonic