Miso is an exotic ingredient (rich in umami) that you’ll use for all kinds of incredible dishes once you buy it – we promise. This brothy soup is packed with flavour and incredibly easy to make – the perfect quick filler lunch. Add more vegetables, strips of cooked chicken or even noodles if you’re very hungry.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 10 ml sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 knob fresh ginger, peeled & grated
- 10 ml miso paste
- 250 ml portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 15 ml soy sauce
- a small bunch of spring onions, sliced, to serve
- a small punnet of bean sprouts, to serve (optional)
- sliced fresh red chilli, to serve (optional)
- a shredded nori sheet, to serve (optional)
- some sesame seeds, for serving (optional)
- fresh coriander or micro herbs, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium size pot, then fry the garlic, ginger and miso paste for a minute, stirring. Add the mushrooms, stock and soy sauce, and stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then cook for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Serve hot in bowls, topped with spring onions, bean sprouts, red chilli, nori, sesame and herbs (or toppings of your choice).