Portabella Steak & Kidney Bean Pie
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp miso paste
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 500g Portabella mushroom steaks
- 500g Portabellini mushrooms, quartered
- 50g flour
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g tins kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g roll store bought puff pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Brown the mushrooms in batches until golden brown all over.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a fresh drizzle of oil to the pan.
- Sauté the onion until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, miso paste, tomato paste and cook until the tomato paste turns a dark brick red colour.
- Add in the golden brown mushrooms and scatter with flour.
- Mix well so everything is coated in the flour.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, mixing as you go to create a homogenous gravy.
- Add the kidney beans and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until thickened and the flavours meld together.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Scrape the filling into a ± 22cm x 30cm baking dish.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to fit your baking dish.
- Cover the filling with the puff pastry and press down along the edges of the baking dish to seal the pie.
- Make 4 little slits in the pastry for steam to escape.
- Brush generously with egg wash and then place in the oven.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve generous spoonfuls with a fresh side salad and enjoy!