What could be better than some hearty and delicious buttons and beans on toast.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 50g / ½ cup breadcrumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 x 400g tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- ± 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill sprigs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 thick-cut slices of sourdough bread
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the breadcrumb topping:
- Melt butter in a frying pan. When sizzling add the breadcrumbs.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and place in a small bowl with the lemon zest and parsley.
- Season to taste and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the drained beans, fresh thyme, and stock.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until the beans are very tender and the liquid has reduced.
- Crush a few beans as you stir to add more body to the sauce.
- Switch the heat off and add the lemon juice and dill. Stir.
- Heat the butter with a little drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook on high heat until just golden brown and still juicy and tender. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Brush the slices of sourdough with olive oil and season with salt.
- Pan fry until golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- Stir the mushrooms into the beans just before plating up.
Serve generous spoonfuls of mushrooms and beans over the sourdough.
Finish with a sprinkle of the crispy, crunchy lemony breadcrumb topping and fresh dill sprigs.