- Pickled cauliflower:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets / 300g cauli blossom florets
- 1 avocado, pitted
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp blood orange juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ garlic clove, grated
- ½ cup – ¾ cup cold water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Harvest bowl ingredients:
- 8 brussel sprouts, sliced in half
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cooked wild & brown rice mix
- ½ cup purple cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup edamame beans, steamed
- ½ cup pickled cauliflower / cauli blossom
- 2 Tbsp toasted mixed seeds
Blood orange wedges, to serve
For the pickled cauliflower:
- Put all the ingredients except the cauliflower in a medium sized saucepan.
- Mix and bring to the boil.
- Place cauliflower in a large heatproof jar. Pour over the hot pickling liquid.
- Allow to cool in the jar and then seal and keep in the fridge.
- (Pickle can be made up to a week before)
For the avocado dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and season lightly.
- Blend until creamy, adding extra water if necessary to reach a smooth consistency.
- Transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge for serving.
To assemble the bowls:
- Toss the brussel sprouts with some olive oil and salt.
- Place in a cast iron pan on medium high heat.
- Cook until charred on their cut side and tender. Set aside.
- In the same pan add the butter and when sizzling add the mushrooms.
- Sauté until the mushrooms release their liquid and are golden brown.
- Switch off the heat and pour over the soy sauce and toss.
- Season with black pepper.
- Divide the baby spinach as a base amongst the two bowls.
- Working in little pockets divide the rice, purple cabbage, edamame beans, pickled cauliflower, charred brussel sprouts and mushrooms evenly.
- Sprinkle everything with the toasted seeds.
- Serve with a wedge of blood orange and the avocado dressing on the side.