A steak doesn’t always need an actual sauce. This luxurious combo of truffle oil and pan-fried large brown mushrooms on a perfectly cooked matured steak are the stuff dreams are made of.
- (serves 1, adjust accordingly for more people)
- 300 g aged steak of your choice, boneless
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt & pepper
- 30 g butter
- a few large brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme, woody stalks discarded
- a few drops of truffle oil (or truffle flavoured oil)
- Drizzle the steak with oil and season with salt & pepper. Braai over hot coals or grill in a piping hot griddle pan, until cooked to your liking (3,5 minutes a side for a 3 cm thick steak, for medium rare). Remove and leave to rest while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Heat the butter over high heat in a pan, then fry the mushrooms with the thyme until golden brown on all sides. Season with salt & pepper. Remove from the heat, then add a few drops of truffle oil and stir to mix.
- Top the rested steak with the hot truffle mushrooms and serve at once.