Makes 4 toasts
- 15m oil
- 50g button or portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 30ml butter
- 25ml cake flour
- 80ml milk, hot
- 5ml Dijon mustard
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and milled black pepper
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 5ml parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the mushrooms for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and cook for another minute. Set aside and reserve one-third for garnish.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes, mixing well.
- Add the hot milk and stirring continuously, keep stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard and cheese.
- Allow to cool slightly and stir in the egg yolks and reserved mushroom mixture. Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg whites, using an electric whisk, until soft peaks form.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the mushroom mixture.
- Arrange the toast slices onto a baking sheet and spoon the mixture onto the toasts.
- Bake for 5 – 6 minutes or until golden and puffy. Serve at once topped with the reserved mushrooms and some parsley.
This recipe was sponsored by SAMFA