A fresh Summer salad to accompany your festive season meal.
- 500g white button mushrooms
- 60ml apple cider vinegar
- 60ml olive oil
- ¼ red onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Handful fresh coriander
- 200g feta cheese
- 1 Mediterranean cucumber
- 100g radish
- 1 x 390g tin artichoke hearts
- 80g mixed baby leaves
- A handful of pumpkin seeds
- Slice button mushrooms into quarters and place in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the mushrooms with vinegar, olive oil, chili, oregano, and a good amount of salt and pepper. Roughly chop the coriander and add that along with the red onion to the bowl. Toss well and set aside.
- Using a mandolin (or very sharp knife) slice ribbons of cucumber and thin rounds of radish.
- Drain the artichoke hearts.
- Add the cucumber ribbons, radish, and artichoke hearts to the large bowl of marinating mushrooms. Give everything a gentle toss.
- Arrange baby leaves in a large, shallow salad bowl. Top with the dressed mushroom and veggie mix.
- Finally, crumble over the feta and finish with pumpkin seeds for crunch.
- 50ml Cape Fynbos Gin
- 150ml pink tonic water
- Fresh sprigs of local fynbos
Place the gin in the freezer for a few hours to cool before making your salad. Or… Fill a shaker with ice and quickly shake the gin over ice to cool. Pour into a coupe and top with a pink tonic. Garnish with fresh fynbos.
Gin Pairing Note:
Perfect for a hot summer’s evening, this fresh summer meal is well complemented by the floral bouquet of Cape Fynbos Gin. The earthy tones from the mushrooms and the mild lemony taste from the artichokes harmonise and add complexity to this Gin and Tonic. The Cape Fynbos Gin’s sweet smoothness works well with the acidity of the dressing, creating a sumptuous pairing.
This recipe was supplied by SAMFA.