- 8 slices bread of choice (ciabatta & sourdough work well)
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250g baby button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 250g portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup / 125g Gruyere cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, for serving
Preheat the braai.
- Brush the slices of bread with a little olive oil and toast on the braai until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In a cast-iron pan directly on the braai heat a drizzle of olive oil. Add the shallots and cook until tender and starting to caramelise. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook stirring occasionally, until browned all over.
- Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- Place the toasted bread onto a baking tray.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture onto each slice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place the tray on the braai and cover with the lid for 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with fresh parsley, and serve.