- 1 large fresh white baguette, cut into 3 individual portions
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 250g portabello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1 cup / 125g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Set oven to grill setting and allow to heat.
- Slice the baguette portions in half and spread the softened butter on the inside of both halves. Toast the bread either in a pan over medium-low heat or on the top rack of an oven until golden brown and crisp. Set aside.
- In a large pan sauté the mushroom slices in olive oil until golden brown. Season with mixed herbs, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In the same pan saute the onion and peppers for 5 min until they have softened.
- To construct the sandwich lay the bottom of each baguette portion on a baking sheet. Begin layering the onions and peppers, followed by a sprinkling of grated cheese, then mushrooms, then another sprinkle of cheese. Repeat until all toppings have been used or you have reached your desired level of filling.
- Place the sandwich halves in the oven under the grill. Grill for 2-3 min or until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven, top with the other baguette half and serve.