- 500g portabellini or button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, very finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1-2 bird’s eye chillies, sliced (seeds removed if desired)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
- 1½ cups short-grain rice (such as Bomba or Arborio)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups mushroom or vegetable stock
- 1kg fresh mussels, cleaned
- Fresh micro herbs for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large paella pan, frying pan, or wok.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown and their water has evaporated.
- Add onion and soften for 5 mins. Add bell pepper, chili, garlic, turmeric, and paprika. Cook until fragrant.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is translucent.
- Add wine and cook until completely evaporated.
- Add stock- the liquid should just cover the rice.
- Cook, without stirring, adding more stock if needed to keep the rice moist while cooking, until rice is al dente and all liquid is absorbed, 15–20 minutes. (Shake pan after adding more stock to distribute evenly.)
- Just before the rice is fully cooked add the mussels, ensuring that most of them are covered by the rice and cover with a lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the mussels open. Discard any that do not open.
- Taste for seasoning and then scatter with fresh micro-herbs. Serve in the pan to keep warm alongside fresh lemon wedges.
Mushroom & Mussel Paella Paired with Ataraxia Serenity
The variability of ingredients from land and sea used for this dish means that this paella has exciting wine pairing options. The complexity of flavours in this paella can handle this assertive red blend with a succulent fruitiness, fresh acidity, and a dry finish. The Ataraxia Serenity has intriguing minerality, spicy notes, and a touch of smokiness which plays beautifully with the smoky notes of the Spanish paprika running through the dish.
This recipe was supplied by the South African Mushroom Association