Serves 4 – 6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 3 cm squares
- 2 cups dried brown lentils
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tsp dried basil
- 1 Tsp dried thyme
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 100g sugar snap peas
- 250g Portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 250g white button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh parsley
- In a potjie pot pour in the olive oil and allow to heat. Once hot fry the onions and garlic for 1-2 min. Add in the carrots and celery and allow to continue to cook for another 5 min. Add in the potatoes, dried lentils, tinned tomatoes, dried basil, dried thyme, bay leaves, and stock.
- Allow to simmer for about 45 min.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, and mushrooms. Continue to simmer for another 30 min. At this point check to see if the vegetables have cooked through and the lentils are tender. Season to taste. If needed add more stock.
- Remove from direct heat and allow the potjie to stay warm while serving.
- Serve with some fresh parsley and crusty bread for mopping up the sauce.
This recipe was sponsored by the South African Mushroom Association