The folks at Nespresso invited us to an evening of culinary excellence, to experience a menu crafted by J’Something himself. This menu paired cuisine from all over the world, with original coffee drink recipes. Creating the perfect cuppa from bean to cup is a craft and each cup is crafted with care and committment.
We were welcomed to Katy’s Palace with a coffee martini, garnished with Lindt chocolate balls on toothpicks. We then enjoyed cuisine that was paired with a coffee or coffee inspired cocktail. We enjoyed cuisine like stir fry noodles, churro’s and vegetable curry’s. The coffee inspired cockatils took a unique twist on G&T’s, Martini’s and Sangria. We were then created to entertainment by Mi Casa and I even got a sneaky pic with J’Something himself (even though he unfollowed me on instagram two weeks ago – rolling my eyes.)
- I enjoy starting my day off with a strong cup of coffee and I try keep my caffeine intake to two cups a day. At the end of the day, enjoying a cup of coffee is intwined in our culture. We start our days off with it, meet with friends to discuss the highs and lows of our personal lives over it too and I sometimes end off a long day at the office with a cup too. The taste sensations of coffee brought to our cups are mastered by craftsmen, and encapsulated by Nespresso’s new Master Origin collection. This finely crafted range of coffees include five distinct coffee sensations all inspired by the land from which they originate. Within each selected region, Nespresso formed a partnership with the local farming experts and embarked on a mission to test innovative and demanding farming practices, all with the goal of crafting incredible new coffee aromas and tastes.
In Ethiopia, the coffee beans had a meticulous raking every hour by hand to ensure even drying throughout the batches.
- In Colombia, the typical harvest time was pushed to the limit – each coffee cherry was left on the tree, risking fermentation, until it was exactly the right shade of deep purple to be picked.
- Over in Sumatra, Indonesia, farmers used a traditional and uniquely local wet-hulling method, whilst in Nicaragua, a sweet approach was taken, using the ‘black honey’ method which involves leaving the coffee bean in its natural fruit layer whilst it is drying to allow it to soak up the natural sugars.
- The coffee sourced in India experienced an age-old ‘monsoon’ technique that was once a natural occurrence when coffee, historically transported via boat, took on a high level of moisture from the ocean, making the beans swell and reveal a unique new flavour.
- This process was applied to Master Origin India, where Robusta beans were ‘monsooned’.
Karsten Ranitzsch, the Head of Coffee at Nespresso, explains: “Processing techniques play a hugely important role in the final coffee profile and with the new Master Origin coffees we wanted to expand on this idea further and see how we could use a mix of traditional, new and adapted methods to produce five distinct and original coffees. Together with the local farmers, we took risks and challenged ourselves to achieve these tastes, and this was only made possible thanks to the mutual trust and supportive relationships with the local coffee farmers, established through the Nespresso AAA Sustainable Quality™ Program. Through this program, we worked closely with knowledgeable and passionate farmers at each origin’s location to master the craft of these origin coffees.”
Discover the journey of Nespresso’s master origin below:
Master Origin: Indonesia
● Flavour profile: Rich & Woody
Master Origin: Ethiopia
● Flavour profile: Flowery & Bright
Master Origin: India
● Flavour profile: Intense & Spicy
Master Origin: Nicaragua
● Flavour profile: Sweet & Harmonious
Master Origin: Colombia
● Flavour profile: Fruity & Vibrant
Each of the Master Origin coffees can be enjoyed as an Espresso (40ml) or as a Lungo (110ml) and they will be a permanent addition to the Nespresso coffee range, available from 24 August 2018 from Nespresso Boutiques and Booths worldwide, as well as through orders from the Nespresso Club on 0800 637773 or online at www.buynespresso.com.