I was looking at creating a series of dinner recipes that you could create in under 20 minutes. Chef Yolanda Nomoyi from Why Cook reached out to guide me with this content. Before we dive into the recipes, here’s a little bit about Chef Nomoyi.
Yolanda Nomoyi is a co-owner and founder of Why Cook? She completed her Public Relations degree in 2011 and went to work for various organisations such as Dimension Data, Ricoh. She also ran her own promotions company for 3 years. When she decided to be a stay- at- home mom she began to focus on creating delicious and nutritional meals for her family which sparked an interest to go into catering. Being an entrepreneur has always been her dream, and food seems to be aligning with that vision. She wishes to attend an international culinary school to further sharpen her skills and grow in the food industry.
Sweet & Sour Chicken Stir-fry
- 500 ml sliced carrots
- 250 ml diced green pepper
- sunflower oil as required
- 8 chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 x 825 g can Pineapple Rings in Light Syrup, drained and halved, syrup reserved
- 125 ml vinegar
- 250 ml Tomato Puree
- 500 ml prepared chicken stock
- 65 ml brown sugar
- 15 ml chopped garlic
- salt and pepper
- Stir-fry the carrots and green pepper in a little oil until glossy then add the chicken and fry until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the can of Pineapple Rings in Light Syrup, reserve the syrup and halve the pineapple rings.
- Add the rings to the chicken together with the syrup then add the vinegar, tomato puree, chicken stock, sugar and garlic.
- Bring to a boil and thicken with the corn flour mixed with a little water.
- Season to taste then simmer briefly, just until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Next week Tuesday we’ll have another delicious recipe up from one of the Why Cook Chefs, so don’t forget to peep us then, if you want more hearty, homely, dinner time recipes that you can create in 20 minutes.