I’ve been craving something sweet and chocolaty lately and decided to take advantage of the fact that I’m still on leave and become the domestic goddess I know I could be (if I tried harder).
I’ve never considered myself the Martha Stewart type, but every now and then I feel like rolling up my sleeves and getting stuck in. Whether it be a new chicken recipe, or baking I try take advantage when the mood strikes as those days are far and few between. The main reason why I don’t bake is because of time. Why spend hours in the kitchen when there are a million great bakeries who have professionals do this for you? Well these brownies are super quick and easy to make (under in hour from start to finish) and they’re a definite crowd pleaser. Even I could make them.
- Serves 8
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cooking time 30 minutes
- 400 grams chocolate
- 200 grams butter
- 3 eggs
- 200 ml castor sugar
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 250 ml plain flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 190’C for 15 mins
- Grease and line 25 x 25 cm baking tin with baking paper (I’m not a regular baker and just used spray and cook in a baking tray – that worked too)
- Melt 250 g of the chocolate and butter together in a bowl over simmering water. Set aside to cool.
- Chop remaining chocolate into chunks and set it aside.
- Beat together: eggs, castor sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy, then beat into chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour, then stir in chocolate pieces
- Pour into the tin and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Don’t be tempted to keep on cooking – its supposed to look “uncooked” and will set as it cools. The centre still needs to be soft and gooey.
- Cut into squares.
You can dust with icing sugar or cocoa if you like and decorate as desired. I used a variety of sprinkle toppings and grated some top deck chocolate on the others too. These sure do get rid of that sweet craving when it strikes.
What’s your go-to guilty pleasure when your sweet tooth kicks in?
Please let me know if you try the recipe and what your thoughts are?